Reblitz: Glue pots vs glue sticks

Joey Recker joey at onkeypiano.com
Wed Jan 24 07:57:26 MST 2007

Julia,
   I use a Cold liquid hide glue when I'm traveling and use the glue pot in my shop.  An Aliphatic glue is what is more commonly known as 'yellow wood glue'.  Here is a run-down of glues that I use and thier common uses:

PVA for non-critical wood joints.  Be careful, it creeps.  Provides good working time
Aliphatic (yellow wood glue) for common woodworking tasks, but doesn't work well with shear stress.
Hot Hide Glue (use urea to adjust working time).  Good for hanging hammers and rigid wood joints.  Works well for felt and leather because it doesn't soak in much.
Cold Hide Glue.  Long working time.  General wood working tasks and rigid wood joints
PVC-E.  Use for rubber buttons and felt trim.  It's water resistant.  It also creeps a good bit.
Contact cement.  Water resistant, creeps.  Good for understring felt.
Epoxy for jobs where I need to fill wood gaps.  It's waterproof.  Good for bridge work
Cyanoacrylates (Super Glue)(CA).  Used for small cracks, veneer, and tuning pin tightening.  Comes in different varieties (gap filling, thin, etc... for different purposes).

Hope this helps.
Joey Recker