argh!!

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu Jan 25 16:46:41 MST 2007

> What would you guys do besides what I did to correct the problem?
> Rick Ucci/Ucci Piano

This usually happens with little kids taking lessons for the
first time on the new Yamaha. Widening the let off to whatever
makes it impossible for them to get a double strike is the
only thing I've found that works. It's a mechanism, and so has
operating parameters that they must meet to run it, and I
explain that to them in almost those terms. If they refuse to
entertain the prospect of learning to run the mechanism, we
can either screw up the mechanism to try to accommodate their
fantasies, or decline, wish them luck, and offer to tune it
for them some day if they ever figure out how to depress a key.

I've done both (depending on the resistance and vocabulary),
but what I usually do after the lengthy explanations and "yea,
but" discussion exchange, is bend the let off brackets down.
That widens the let off in each section in seconds, and lets
me bring it back up pretty close to where it belongs next year
when the kid has learned to push through the let off
resistance and bottom the keystroke. Then, it doesn't take
long to touch it up and move on.

Same with floating hammer shanks in new Yamaha verticals. I
slit the hammer rail prop felts, and insert a piece of bushing
cloth. The nap grips enough to hold it in there, a tad of lost
motion appears, and the repetition problems suddenly and
magically go away with maybe two minute's work. Next year, or
two, after everything compacts a bit, pull the bushing cloth
and touch up capstan regulation - maybe five or six minutes.

Cheap tricks for lazy techs.
Ron N