regulating philosophy

Gregor _ karlkaputt at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 29 02:18:51 MST 2007

For me it´s indeed a feel of a certain combination within a range of
measures I learned. The range is given, but there is always some tolerance.
If I prefer one thing it will be at the cost of another thing because it´s a
dynamic system.

The only thing I don´t play around with is the keydip which should always be
10 mm (minimal tolerance with that). I learned the following "philosophy"
about regulation: always start with the keyboard. As a rule of the thumb:
work away from your body and from bottom to top:

1. height of keytops above the bottom of the keyframe (who claimed to be the
nomenclatur cop? How do you call this)
2. keydip
3. as an exception from the bottom to top rule: check blow distance
4. lost motion
5. let off
6. dampers
7. the checkers/backcheckers (is that the correct name?) is the last what I
do, at least with old uprights without new felts and leathers (no complete
rebuilding). I don´t care if they are not in a perfect row like tin
soldiers.

The measures have to be within the range, but more important is "a good
feeling".

Gregor