Calculating strike point

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Tue Jan 30 15:21:55 MST 2007

Hi Joe

I am not sure myself what mass coefficient is to be used with Pure
sound. I've been asking questions along those lines here and on CAUT for
about a month now and havent gotten any response.  I do know his density
and E-modulus figures. Perhaps the following paragraph from his website
will help...

        Providing wire numbers can be found on the instrument, it is
        usually possible to establish the brand of pianowire used, by
        calculating the string tensions assuming one type of pianowire,
        then look at the logic of the graph that comes out. It is
        precisely the huge difference between the various numbering
        systems that often set out one particular brand.

        To measure a string tension I use a simplificated form derived
        from the Taylor formula:

        F = 2514 x f2 x l2 x d2

        F = tension in kg (gravity 9.81).
        f = frequency in Herz.
        l = speaking length in meters.
        d = diameter in meters (!)

        This formula is based on modern piano wire, average density 7,85.
        These data are all hidden within the number: 2514.
        For Pure Sound wire this number is : 2530. (average density: 7,90)
        For Malcolm Rose's wire the number is : 2488. (average density:
        7,769)

    Ric,
    That is exactly what I was referring to in my last post. I prefer to
    get the Z as smooth as possible, while monitoring the
    inharmonicity/tension, etc. I've found that most voicing problems go
    away with this approach. Early in my scaling endeavors, I got hung
    up on the Inharmonicity thing and had a few "rebuilds" that didn't
    come out as expected, because of it. Since I have put more emphasis
    on the Z factor, most of those problems have gone away. All of it is
    a major compromise, but the emphasis on Z is the lesser of the ever
    present evils, IMO.
    BTW, what mass coefficient number are you using for Pure Sound Wire?
    If that is not plugged into the math, then you'll really not have a
    clear picture of what that stuff does in real time. At present, I
    have not used Pure Sound. It sounds like it might be an answer for
    some of my "relics" that I care for, but until I can get the proper
    mass coefficient, I have no way of fortelling the results of using it.
    Regards,

    Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
    Captain of the Tool Police
    Squares R I