Real Lyre for Stwy XO-wouldn't that be "OR"?

william ballard yardbird at vermontel.net
Mon Jul 2 20:03:14 MDT 2007

Yo, Thump,

On Jul 2, 2007, at 9:00 PM, gordon stelter wrote:
> My impressioin is that the Duo Art version of the "O"
> was called an "OR". The "X" designation was only used
> for the "M"reproducer, perhaps because "Mr" would have
> looked a  bit silly ?
>      Thump

I'm guessing the "X" is like the county hospital's entry under
"Father of Newborn". They don't want to acknowledge anything about
it. But you probably know more than I do about it. If nothing else,
this piano is an "ex-" O.

It had (as I remember) a Welte player retro-fitted where the Duo-Art
was. And after that that and a cheap set of hammers, it's still a
very fine sounding O. The current pedals and lyre are barely
functional: it really needs a Stwy lyre to be a real piano for this
summer chamber music program.

Thanks for replying. I the meantime, I've decided that the keybed
stiffener plank should be solid, and that it won't be that difficult
to locate. I'm routing out for the female locking plate before the
plank gets attached to the keybed. Triangulation. Nothing trickier
than, say, finding the right location for a new back action.

Mr. Bill