Action Ratio and Dip and Blow and Etc.

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Jul 4 14:20:03 MDT 2007

Hi David. Thanks for your input. I have a couple questions about hammer mass with Del-designed bellies. I did some experimenting with note #40. The picture you are referring to was actually note #16, not #20 - but that doesn't really matter. You are suggesting a SW for note 20 of 9g or maybe even a little less. That's a light hammer! But then, your reasoning may be right on, considering the new efficient Del-designed belly in this piano.

Do you set your hammer weights using Stanwood's Smart Chart SW curves? A 9g SW for note #20 falls about 2/3 of the way up from the extreme light curve to the light-medium curve. Staying on the same curve, note #40 should have a SW of about 8.0g or 8.1g, according to the Stanwood curves. That curve would have and A0 SW of about 9.5g and a C88 SW of about 4.2g. Is that what you are thinking? I realize, of course, these Stanwood curves are nothing set in stone - a particular piano may do better with a curve that crosses into other zones on Stanwood's Smart Chart. What SW curves do you find working best with Del's designs? What kind of hammers are you favoring? Probably a Ronson. With what kind of felt?

Note #40 originally had four 12g leads in it. I put a 17mm knuckle and an 8g SW hammer on - popped out the two leads closest to the key front and measured DW - it is now less than 50g. If a light SW range works well for this piano belly, it would seem my problems are pretty close to over.

Part of my initial confusion may also be related to info on the Abel shank/knuckle data. They offer two shank/knuckle/flange assemblies for old Knabes - their data indicates that one has an 18mm core-to-center distance, and the other is 17mm. The shank assemblies I received from Brooks have a 16mm distance. I'm not sure why. I'll give Wally a jingle on Friday.

Terry Farrell