string tension

J Pengelly johnsfsr at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 10 08:06:21 MDT 2007

When explaining to a new customer about the need for a pitch raise, I tell
them that the piano has 225 to 230 strings in it. This times approximately
170 lbs per string equals 38-39 thousand lbs  of string tension. Eyes often
widen at this point. I go on to explain that when a piano is significantly
flat, then I have to restore the the lost lbs.

My question is  how do I figure out overall string tension if a piano is 40
cents flat or whatever cents flat it is sitting at?

Much appreciated.

John Pengelly