Stripping a plate

BobDavis88 at aol.com BobDavis88 at aol.com
Wed Jul 11 12:42:13 MDT 2007

Hello all you who do your own plate finishing,

I haven't had much trouble in this regard until now. We have a spray booth
and have always sanded and finished our own plates. However, there is a plate in
the shop now that was previously refinished (with I don't know what), and the
finish is severly cracked. We have tried sanding down through it, but it
doesn't seem practical or effective - the cracking is all the way through the
finish. I want it all gone, so its unknown qualities don't affect the new finish.
We are thinking our only choices are to strip, or to sandblast.

Has anyone had experience with either? The only other plate we stripped
completely was years ago, and I remember that it took off the original japanning as
well as the finish, leaving the original roughness of the casting, and took
an awful lot of hand work and fillers to smooth it. I expect that sandblasting
would be more controllable as to depth, but I don't know if it would leave a
smooth enough surface. Any ideas? Any?

Thanks,
Bob Davis