Stripping a plate

Mark Potter bases-loaded76 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 11 14:45:59 MDT 2007

Hi Bob -

  I had a similar situation about 20 years ago, with paint flaking/chipping off like crazy - have NO idea how it got that way.  Anyway, I had it sandblasted by a friend of mine, and while it did require a couple sandable primer coats (autobody supply place) and extra sanding, it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it might be, and it turned out great.

  I wonder if perhaps towards the end of the sandblasting process, switching to a softer media might not yield a smoother surface than sand?  Just a thought...

  Mark Potter

BobDavis88 at aol.com wrote:
      Hello all you who do your own plate finishing,

  I haven't had much trouble in this regard until now. We have a spray booth and have always sanded and finished our own plates. However, there is a plate in the shop now that was previously refinished (with I don't know what), and the finish is severly cracked. We have tried sanding down through it, but it doesn't seem practical or effective - the cracking is all the way through the finish. I want it all gone, so its unknown qualities don't affect the new finish. We are thinking our only choices are to strip, or to sandblast.

  Has anyone had experience with either? The only other plate we stripped completely was years ago, and I remember that it took off the original japanning as well as the finish, leaving the original roughness of the casting, and took an awful lot of hand work and fillers to smooth it. I expect that sandblasting would be more controllable as to depth, but I don't know if it would leave a smooth enough surface. Any ideas? Any?

  Thanks,
  Bob Davis