Setting Dip on the Bench

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Thu Jul 12 08:03:29 MDT 2007

David -

In the past I had borrowed someone's idea and installed a series of
bench 'glide bolts', which allowed me to recreate the flex of the key
frame without resorting to shims.  While quite accurate, I still
would find the need to do some refinement at the piano. Currently I
use a method similar to the one described by Ed Foote, but which, to
clarify, involves transferring and retaining settings made originally
in the piano itself, not created originally on the bench.
- carefully bed the frame (including checking back rail)
- establish key height of #1 & 88, using cut balance rail punchings
- use tape (gaffer's) to stabilize end keys, linking them to 3-5 adjacent keys
- using crowned straight edge and split punchings, set key heights of
all C's (or B's & C's)
- regulate samples
- record / retain these samples on the bench, since any distortion
occurring will affect samples and remaining notes equally.
- for bench level use a light weight (drilled out aluminum), one
octave+ straight edge from sample to sample, gang taping to keys
outside the octave being leveled to eliminate deflection of samples
from weight of straight edge
- strip of masking tape along front edge of keyboard to mark for
punchings to add (if using action-in-place instead of leveling weights)
- final in piano

Ed mentions crescendo punchings by which, I am assuming,. he means
front punchings.  I agree that they make it  much easier to interpret
and set precise dip, though I am still not sure I like the reduced
cushion.  I am using them though.  I also need to get their balance
punchings, which I have to believe will better retain a key level.

Good lighting, a comfortable chair,  some music (not the news), a
glass of wine (unless it's before breakfast - things could be worse.

regards -

David Skolnik, RPT
Hastings on Hudson, NY