Setting Dip on the Bench

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Thu Jul 12 20:57:10 MDT 2007

At the front.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces at ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Erwinspiano at aol.com
Sent: Thursday, July 12, 2007 11:43 AM
To: pianotech at ptg.org
Subject: Re: Setting Dip on the Bench

 Back to my other inquiry.  10 mm dip measured where & how?  It matters
obviously ie. 10 mm at the pin is different than at the key front.

    Yamaha does this at the front of the key with a Metric ruler, Steinway
with dip blocks.

  Dale

My typical method is using the inserted punching (.030) and set dip until
the jack just escapes with light pressure in the piano.  Then I measure to
see what the dip is.  If it's too shallow or too deep I adjust the blow
(within reason) until the dip regulates where I want it-(10 mm is my dip of
choice).  I'll go to .040 aftertouch if I have to for a compromise but I
prefer .030.  I do that after all other regulation is done (except
backchecks).   I find I need to do this at eye level at the keybed.  All
other methods are simply roughing it in.  I've tried the other methods you
mentioned but none are precise enough.  I would like to have a method of
transferring the set up on the keybed to the bench so that the dip is
precisely duplicated.  But like Ed mentioned, this may be a pipe dream.
I've tried various methods of rebedding the keyframe on the bench but none
quite do the trick.  Some get close but I still have to check it in the
piano.  I was hoping I was missing some foolproof method however I think
that inherent differences in the keybed level and the bench will always
produce different results.  I'm hoping to be proven wrong.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com

  _____