String tension (was : Birdcage pitch raise)

Stéphane Collin collin.s at skynet.be
Fri Jul 13 09:03:31 MDT 2007

Hello Frank, Philippe.

I know that it wouldn't be the first time that I would have to change an
idea that I have had for a long time, but I'm still thinking right now that
everything else being the same, a string with more tension has less
inharmonicity.
Intuitively, you can hear the bell like sound (that is with partials much
deviated from the theoretical geometric progression, so lots of
inharmonicity) of a string whose tension you release.
That being said, to achieve a desired pitch with a string of a certain
length, the thicker the diameter, the higher the needed tension.  I believe
(uptil now) that it is the extra mass of the thick string (not the tension)
that is capable of storing more energy from the (thicker) hammer, and
through a well designed impedance coupling with the board, producing louder
sounds.
In my experience, when you raise the tension of a certain string, you raise
of course the pitch of the sound, you lower the inharmonicity (which is not
necessarily desirable) and you shorten the sustain (which is often not
desirable).  No increase of volume, as far as I could hear.
I did extensive what if tests with 19th century Bechstein pianos, and
ascertained that the designer chose exactly the good tension figures in his
scalings, achieving best sound, which is best inharmonicity pattern (gives
nice colours and helps, yes helps tuning ET) and best sustain values, for
wire equivalent of Röslau blue today and diapason of A4 = 440.  According to
controversial Roberts formulas, those tensions average between 30 and 45 %
of supposed breaking strain, with a drop in the low tenor plain strings, and
higher figures in the wound bass strings.

This is what I think now, until someone makes me doubt, in which case I'll
contemplate thinking twice.

Best regards,

Stéphane Collin.