String tension (was : Birdcage pitch raise)

Frank Emerson pianoguru at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 13 12:56:39 MDT 2007

Stéphane

> In my experience, when you raise the tension of a certain string, you
raise
> of course the pitch of the sound, you lower the inharmonicity (which is
not
> necessarily desirable) and you shorten the sustain (which is often not
> desirable).

You are correct.  If you tune a string to a higher frequency, all else
remaining the same, you decrease the inharmonicity.  On the other hand, if
in the scale design, you increase the diameter of the plain wires (and core
wires of the wrapped strings), tuning the strings to the "correct"
frequencies, all else remaining the same, you increase the tension, as well
as the inharmonicity.

Frank Emerso