String tension (was : Birdcage pitch raise)

Stéphane Collin collin.s at skynet.be
Sat Jul 14 08:27:55 MDT 2007

Hi Philip.

I'm a bit not at ease, as I'm not authority on this subject (neither on any
other), and I'm just dealing what I know for now, which is subject to change
without notice.
Comments below.

>Why wouldn't it be desirable to reduce inharmonicity ? Isn't it the reason
why one expect a full length grand piano to be better than an upright type ?

It is about how much is too much.  The grand design is there to counter the
excessive foreshortening (that is : in the bass range, strings must be way
shorter than their ideal length if you would use the same diameters of
strings than in the middle of the keyboard : you would have to follow a
logarithmic lengths curve, which would lead you to impossibly long strings)
of the bass strings, which is, indeed, responsible for unacceptable
inharmonicity in small grands bass strings.  Now, even the bass strings of a
large grand have some inharmonicity, which proves to have two benefits : 1°
give the piano a piano tone which is intuitively caracterized by some
inharmonicity (if you try to imitate the sound of a piano on a synthesizer,
and you put no inharmonicity in the upper partials you use, you get just
that, a synthesizer sound, not a piano sound; seems that the human ear is
used to consider complexity as a garant for liveliness; too simple sounds
sound synthetic) and 2° make the equal temperament sound better than it
would on a non inharmonic instrument (by alignin somewhat the discrepencies
from "theoretical values" for the 10th intervals (plus one octave) of ET
with the discrepencies of the 5th partial of a note).

> I also don't understand why higher tension shortens the sustain. I would
have expected the resonance factor to be more important in comparaison with
the losses by transmitting it's energy to the air or in the metal itself.
So, shouldn't it lenthen the sustain instead of shortening it ?

I must admitt that I have no obvious explanation here, but I first hand
acknowledged the hard fact (which you can easily do for yourself) that when
you raise the tension of a certain string in your piano, it's sustain
shortens, and quite a lot.  Try and measure.  I suppose it is the increased
internal restoring force in a high tensionned string that plays against the
necessary possibility for the string to separate from it's rest position
(elasticity) which is favourable to long sustain.

> Also, about the power... Am I correct, if I say that it give more energy
> for
the same amount of vibrations, and so you may have a louder sound, on the
condition, that you have more weight in your hammer (so your keys will be
harder) ? I observed that on my piano, the keys are much lighter than on
some modern pianos.

Or may be, is the louder sound related with the shorter sustain, the weight
in the hammer having nothing to do with that ?

Interesting idea.  But again, following hard experimental facts, I heard no
noticeable increase in loudness when raising the tension of a certain
string.  Just a loss of sustain.  I believe it is the quantity of movement
that can be stored in a thicker string that will make the difference in
loudness.  Of course, you need a heavier hammer to produce that quantity of
movement in the string.  I suppose there are limits where the losses (like
the time the heavier hammer stays in contact with the string) exceed the
gains.

Just my thoughts, hoping to raise some more comments.

Stéphane Collin.