String tension (was : Birdcage pitch raise)

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Jul 14 09:30:57 MDT 2007

> Why wouldn't it be desirable to reduce inharmonicity ?

Do you want a piano, or a pure tone generator? The degree of
inharmonicity isn't particularly a problem. It mostly just
defines the range of stretch in tuning. The problems come with
discontinuities in inharmonicity levels at scale breaks, which
affect tuning, rather than tone.

>Isn't it the
> reason why one expect a full length grand piano to be better than an
> upright type ?

No. It's the other 4,000 differences between the two.

> I also don't understand why higher tension shortens the sustain.

I don't understand why either, because it doesn't. While the
bass tension and overall tension in pianos I redesign and
rebuild typically are somewhat lower than the original, the
top two octave tensions are typically higher because I
increase C-8 speaking lengths from the original 50mm, to
53-54mm. Sustain at the top end typically improves not because
of the tension change, but because the soundboard is built to
accommodate the scaling.

> Also, about the power... Am I correct, if I say that it give more energy
> for the same amount of vibrations, and so you may have a louder sound,
> on the condition, that you have more weight in your hammer (so your keys
> will be harder) ? I observed that on my piano, the keys are much lighter
> than on some modern pianos.

It's not any one thing. It's how everything works together.

> Or may be, is the louder sound related with the shorter sustain, the
> weight in the hammer having nothing to do with that ?

Too hard a hammer, in a misguided attempt to get more "power",
can certainly kill sustain.

Ron N