hitch pin installation

Bob Hull hullfam5 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 17 23:07:50 MDT 2007

   When additional, or differently located hitch pins
need to be installed, how much difference in diameter
do you drill the hole compared to the size of the pin?

This is for a regular pin and not a roll pin. The
present pins are .168 in dia. I don't know if I have
that size - I just have some of PianoTeks 2 sizes.

Do you drive the new pin in as a force fit?  Is epoxy
suggested?

This is for a Steinway B on which I'm adding pins for
new wound bichords replacing the 3 low tenor plain
unisons.

Also, what would you think about german loops in this
situation?  Would the bridge benefit from that or
would the decrease in downbearing be undesirable?

I did some archive research but this may clarify a
couple of things for me.

Thanks for your input.

Bob Hull