Wanting to do it right

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Thu Jul 19 00:01:25 MDT 2007

Hey Steven

I usually try the Protek or Goose Juice first. It's easy and I keep a hypo
oiler of it right in my tool kit.

A used Wurly console, eh? They can be troublesome. I've had several of those
where the problem was too much friction in the whippen pin. Some responded
to Protek, some needed repining.

Note which keys are particularly troublesome. Take the action out, remove
that whippen, and test the flange for tightness. Apply Protek and see if it
frees up. If it works, go ahead and lubricate all of them. Just turn the
action upside down and squirt along the whippen pin joints.

If it doesn't free up I'm afraid you'll have to do some re-pinning. Although
you might try alcohol treatment first. I've never done it, but others have
good success. Search the archives.

Lay the action on the dampers and then lube all of the jack flanges.
Finally, do the hammer flanges.

While action is out take a look at the keys and test how freely they move.
Give attention as appropriate. It doesn't matter if it is new or used, you
fit keysticks the same.

Reinstall action and see how it does.

Oh, and since you are getting the digest version, be sure to delete all of
the posts when you are doing a reply. Otherwise it makes your email pretty
long.

Dean

Dean May             cell 812.239.3359

PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272