Stubborn Backchecks

reggaepass at aol.com reggaepass at aol.com
Fri Jul 20 07:52:20 MDT 2007

Addendum: removal of stubborn backchecks

We're talking about removing them wires and all, right?? If so, here's what we did: Take a 2x4 (maybe 6" or so long) and cut a groove with a table saw down the center of it's length, tall, wide and long enough to slide over the end of the key (note: don't groove the entire length of the block, for strength's sake).? Slide the block over the end of the key, grip the wire (from the key button side) with a pair of substantial needle-nose vise grips, slide a small crow bar under the vise grips from the key-end felt side, and pry up.? We also used a little wedge of hard-wood, sliding it in under the crow bar to keep the prying angle as close to ideal as possible while the backcheck rises (thereby minimizing damage to the backcheck block).?

I could have done several in the time it took me to write this.? It won't take you half a day, and efficiency is more than doubled if you have a helper with a decent sense of working together.

Cheers,

Alan Eder