more board question

Gene Nelson nelsong at pbic.net
Sat Jul 21 09:30:28 MDT 2007

see below
----- Original Message -----
From: "Farrell" <mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com>
To: "Pianotech List" <pianotech at ptg.org>
Sent: Saturday, July 21, 2007 1:32 AM
Subject: Re: more board question

> Hi Gene,
>
> I keep my shop right between 45% and 50% RH. My soundboards have
> equilibrated with shop conditions when I set my bearing. I see no reason
> to dry things down to glue-up MC.
I call it my shop - my wife calls it her garage. MC is more in the range of
30% to 65%.

> Setting bearing on rib crowned soundboard assemblies will be less affected
> by small changes in RH/MC. I would presume stable, repeatable environment
> RH would be rather critical in setting downbearing on a compression
> crowned soundboard system. I presume you are working with a rib crowned
> soundboard here - my guess from your relatively high MC at rib/panel
> glue-up. If yours is rib crowned, who designed it?
You are correct - Dale Fox tutored me on previous projects but this board is
my design.

> Where are you doing this work? In your shop? What kind of climate control
> systems do you have? What kind of RH monitoring system do you have? What
> range of RH does your shop experience?
Climate control is nothing but a humidifier (swamp box) to keep things from
drying out too much.
Monitoring is the cheep hygrometer that also goes with me to clients homes.
30% to 65% rh range

> I have simply never observed bearing conditions in the new board change
> over time because I keep my shop environmental conditions very stable. I
> find that helps keep things predictable and keeps me from pulling my hair
> out. I find my shop RH range to be ideal, because I install Damp-Chaser
> systems on all pianos that I put soundboards in, and thus, presumably
> soundboard MC will stay close to my shop conditions - that way, wherever I
> set bearing, bearing should remain constant.
Very helpful - I probably will not be able to control rh in a 5% range in
the forseable future but it is a goal.
Thanks
Gene