more board question

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Jul 21 02:32:16 MDT 2007

Hi Gene,

I keep my shop right between 45% and 50% RH. My soundboards have
equilibrated with shop conditions when I set my bearing. I see no reason to
dry things down to glue-up MC.

I don't know what kind of soundboard design you are working with, but with
any system the goal would be to have stable, repeatable conditions. Once you
learn your soundboard design characteristics under certain environmental
conditions, you can then proceed with some degree of confidence that your
procedures with produce predictable results.

Setting bearing on rib crowned soundboard assemblies will be less affected
by small changes in RH/MC. I would presume stable, repeatable environment RH
would be rather critical in setting downbearing on a compression crowned
soundboard system. I presume you are working with a rib crowned soundboard
here - my guess from your relatively high MC at rib/panel glue-up. If yours
is rib crowned, who designed it?

Where are you doing this work? In your shop? What kind of climate control
systems do you have? What kind of RH monitoring system do you have? What
range of RH does your shop experience?

I have simply never observed bearing conditions in the new board change over
time because I keep my shop environmental conditions very stable. I find
that helps keep things predictable and keeps me from pulling my hair out. I
find my shop RH range to be ideal, because I install Damp-Chaser systems on
all pianos that I put soundboards in, and thus, presumably soundboard MC
will stay close to my shop conditions - that way, wherever I set bearing,
bearing should remain constant.

Hope this helps.

Terry Farrell