Forster upright with negative crown

Jean-Jacques GRANAS lemotjuste at data.pl
Mon Jul 23 06:28:16 MDT 2007

Hello list,

It has been a very long time since I posted here. My regards to all.

Last week, I went to tune an upright Forster from the 1920’s. I was told by
the lady owner that the piano hadn't been tuned for years (sic!). The piano
had tight pins, clean strings and was less than half a tone flat, so the
tuning was not a problem. The lady also asked me if I could do something
about the her piano’s muffled sound.

I though driving there that the hammers were probably out of shape and I
would likely be filing hammers. Yet the hammer heads had barely visible
grooves. As the muffled sound was most offensive in the midrange section, I
decided to see what the crown looked like. I removed the action and took a
quick glance downwards behind the keybed before pulling my tack line out.
This instrument has the worse negative crown I have ever seen. The
measurement came to to -12 mm (around middle C).

I have three questions:

- I have seen references on this list to pianos designed with negative
crown. Does anyone know if Forster made uprights with negative crown?
- What makes a soundboard behave like this? I know string pressure will
often flatten a soundboard with time, but -12mm??
- What can I do to give this piano a little life, short of a ribbing/board
replacement job. The piano isn’t worth the expense, but the customer likes
it very much nonetheless.

Cheers,

Jean-Jacques Granas
Warsaw, Poland