Forster upright with negative crown

Gregor _ karlkaputt at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 24 01:59:43 MDT 2007

here comes a trick that I was told in the piano technician class, but it´s
18 years ago and I never tried that trick nor do I know if it is still
taught nowadays. It´s called *Pfennigstütze* and means coin support:

drill a whole in the rim and turn a screw in direction of the backside of
the soundboard. Take a coin and turn the screw so that it pushes the coin to
the board. The effect should be some kind of new crown. It is necessary that
the coin hits the backside of the long bridge. Be carefull not to apply to
much tension.

I only would try it if everything else did not work and if there is nothing
to loose. They told us in the piano tech school and usually they know what
they are talking about. Hard to imagine that the soundboard can swing with
that coin, but allegedly it works. No idea if it can work with negative
crown. Extreme case.

Sounds like scamping and perhaps my memory strikes so that I forgot some
important details. So: no warranty!!

Gregor