Schafer & Sons question

Tom Sivak tvaktvak at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 27 08:12:25 MDT 2007

Rich

  Where did you get the WS-52 model number?

  Here's what Geoff wrote in his post.

  <<Shafer & Sons WG-5 upright sn: 810168>>

  I believe WG-5 is a Samick model number.

  I tune several Samick WG-5s at a local college.  They have about 5 Yamaha P-22s and 3 Samick WG-5s.  I have been surprised to find that all the WG-5s hold their tunings much better than the Yamahas.  It seems like I spend more time repairing them than the Yamahas, but then they are a bit older.  (The Samicks date back to the 80s, and the Yamahas the 90s.)  Loose action centers with center pins sliding out of the flanges seem to be a prevalent problem, but then they have radiator heat at the college and NO humidity in the winter.  (The Yamahas, however, don't seem to suffer from this ailment.)

  But generally (flame suit on) I have found them to be dependable, durable, and functional pianos, for this institutional setting, at least.

  Tom Sivak
  Chicago

    Geoff,

  Schafer & Sons was a house brand of Colton Piano in the '80s and into the '90s. They hired others on an OEM (original equipment manufacturer) basis and had several folks build for them, including, but not limited to, Kimball, Samick, Dae Woo, and Schimmel.

  The WS-52 is a give away that it is a DaeWoo.

  All the best,

  Rich Galassini
  Cunningham Piano Co.
  800 394-1117