Help requested from hearing aid wearers

terryb t46xd8jb at xplornet.com
Tue Mar 13 09:03:50 MST 2007

Hi Diane,

I have the OTICON SYCIC2 hearing aids. They are relatively small and fit in
the ear canal. They are capable of 4 programs and I am assuming that there
are many changes that can be made in each program (although I have not yet
been successful in having my audiologist make a lot of changes so far. I
have already told you about comments that my audiologist made, so I won't
go into that again, except to say that she is now more amenable to making
changes to suit me.

I have a program in all 4 areas. The last one is supposed to be a music
program. The only difference that I can ascertain is that sounds are have a
greater volume than the other three.

I have tried tuning pianos with my hearing aids using all 4 programs.
Unfortunately I get the same result with all of them. They are fine for
tuning the Bass, but at about C3 things deteriorate rapidly. Sustaining any
note from C3 on up to the top, causes feedback and squealing regardless of
how loudly or softly the note is played. In Octave 7 the sound pulsates
sort of like a false beat and that octave is impossible to hear while
wearing hearing aids. The sound from C88 is pretty well non existent. (I
can hear it without the hearing aids). My audiologist says she turned up
the volume for frequencies above 4000 hz, but I don't think that she turned
it up enough.

I spent the last two days with Roger Jolly as he regulated and voiced a
5'7" Wurlitzer grand in a fairly large church. He made changes in the
voicing and asked me what I thought. To me, I couldn't really identify the
change and the piano still seemed to be very harsh sounding. The pianist
loved it though, so I guess it is just my hearing.

I have another appointment coming up with my audiologist and I will try to
have her make further changes. If you or Les have any suggestions, I am
sure they would be helpful.

Terry Beckingham RPT