tight young chang bushings

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 2 14:22:10 MST 2007

On 11/2/07, Gene Nelson <nelsong at pbic.net> wrote:

>  Have a 1983 Schaffer and Sons 53" upright - all action centers are tight
> and they get worse with alcohol water treatment.
> Is this the Young Chang contaminated bushing issue? I think it is made by
> Young Chang, not certain.
> Is there a remedy other than repinning or parts replacement?
> Is there any hope for help from the warranty/manufacturer?
> Gene

I may be mistaken but I think the Schaefer & Sons from back then were a
Samick product. Does it have laminated bridges? I know Samick did at that
time. We had a couple of techs here in town that started carrying Samick
about '86 or '87 and a tooner that had a Schaefer & Sons grand that had some
problems that he felt made all Samicks no good because of his problem
Schaefer grand.

I do know that everyone complained about Samicks very LOOSE bushings at the
time. I recall that frequently they weren't all glued in, if you tried to
repin with a larger pin to tighten them up the whole bushing would come
out. So I would hazard a guess that perhaps this is an aftermarket problem,
perhaps some rebushing a little too tight then some spraying to unstick
them? As I say, just a guess from what I know and remember of Samick/Schafer
at the time.

Mike

The way some people find fault, you'd think there was some kind of reward.
Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404
www.IFixPianos.com