Gabler Stringing scale

Mike Spalding mike.spalding1 at verizon.net
Sat Nov 3 06:34:40 MST 2007

Rex,

Assuming you have measured the string lengths correctly, this is a
bizarre scale. It differs from most scales in that the string lengths
increase more rapidly than usual from note 88 down to about note 45,
then they decrease more rapidly than usual to the bottom end of the long
bridge. Visualize it as the bridge taking a straighter path from 88 to
29 than normal - it should have had a sharper curve and stayed closer to
the belly rail as it came down through octaves 7, 6 and 5. That is why
your tensions are so high, even with all that size 13 wire, up in
octaves 5 & 6. The only way to improve this is to redesign the bridge.
Do you know, did this piano have a history of string breakage?

Mike