Gabler Stringing scale

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Nov 3 09:53:58 MST 2007

> I am about to order strings for an E. Gabler & Bros. 5’ grand #177086.

What exactly do you plan to order for bass strings? The plain
wire scale is so supremely flaky, I'd like to see the
measurements on the bass as well. There's little that can be
done with this treble scale. The run of #13 wire is mostly
over 80% of break, with one being at 91% by my calc. Without
modifying the bridge, that's not going to change. Lengths are
about 35mm long at E- 5, tapering to about right at D-4 and
C-8, give or take.

It's essentially a disposable piano that somehow made it
through it's first lifetime in spite of the "design". It's
worth nothing near what it will take to "fix", so I'd say
either string it like you found it and run, improve what
problems are improvable at your considerable expense as an
educational platform, or junk it. There's no magic bullet on
this one.

I'd still like to see that bass scale.
Ron N