Acoustic foam

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Sun Nov 4 16:47:23 MST 2007

On 11/3/07, Israel Stein <custos3 at comcast.net> wrote:

> I am not sure that so called "acoustic foam" is worth the expense.
> From what I read on the results of a "Google" search the concerns
> being addressed are mostly architectural - fire resistance and
> appearance. These are not considerations when installing foam in a
> piano - it's out of sight, and the piano itself is not
> fire-resistant...  So next time, try the simple foam mattress - it
> will do the job. Or give your client the choice - are they willing to
> pay the extra fifty bucks for pretty, fire-resistant foam?

On the job that I mentioned before, I tried a foam mattress pad that I
bought from Wal-Mart.  This was after both top and bottom foam from Edwards
was in place, but it was still too loud.  So I drove to Wal-Mart since it
was very close by...it was worth a try just to see if more foam would help.
It made some difference, but not enough.

So I ended up doing the voicing, which did the trick in conjunction with the
foam.

I remember doing a lot of looking online at acoustic foam after this job.
If memory is correct, it is much thicker than one you can buy for a mattress
(at least at that one WM).  And, the acoustic foam is quite a bit denser,
which theoretically will reduce sound more.  If it's worth the price
difference might depend on the situation (i.e., what level of sound
reduction is needed).

But for $20 or so, it would be worth a try if you didn't need to reduce the
volume too much.

JF

I found this out this year, and it angers me terribly!  Did you know that
the Federal Reserve is a private bank controlled by the banking elite for
their own benefit?

Check out www.themoneymasters.com