Acoustic foam

Tom Servinsky tompiano at bellsouth.net
Sun Nov 4 17:43:52 MST 2007

John
There is a big difference between foam mattress material and acoustical baffle foam.  Recording studios having been using this material for years to insulate the interior space against outside noise. Can't say I have ever seen a recording studio pad the walls with mattress foam. I'm not sure how the acoustical/physical characteristics plays into the egg crate shape, but it does contain sound extremely well.
That being said, any material (be it foam, blankets, or anything) is going to aid in retarding sound from the bottom of the piano. The question is how much containment of sound are you hoping for. We've experimented with just about everything and for the extra money, the high grade acoustical baffle foam is well worth the extra cost.
Tom Servinsky