New Stein. A loose hammer flanges

David Renaud drjazzca at yahoo.ca
Wed Nov 7 07:53:36 MST 2007

   Steinway A is less then 1 year old.

   Rep. problem, on fast playing, trills some
note fail. regulation is technically correct
by specs.

   20 swings plus on hammer flanges.
Rep. springs are loose enough not to cause jumping
hammers. Not tight enough to support the window.
Tightening the spring even very little makes the
hammer jump.

   Blown out flanges make for a very small window
of opportunity for the rep spring to interact
properly.

Questions

1) Should the flanges blow out so quickly.....or
rather is this common on the new Steinway. Note: this
is a serious player that can really play difficult
material.

2) Should this be a warranty issue, or is this
considered grey area to negotiate with the store.

3) When examining pinning issues. What effect on
   touch, response, rep. would you expect from
   other pinning issues....loose wippen, rep lever,
   jack. I do not normally look at these, but in this
   case I think I should investigate deeper.

                           Thank You
                           David Renaud