has anyone ever tried this?

Rob & Helen Goodale rrg at unlv.nevada.edu
Thu Nov 8 18:27:33 MST 2007

I think there are a variety of factors at play in terms of string
stabilization.  Yes, the wire does stretch.  There is a degree of elasticity
or "springiness" that has to be overcome before the string says to it's
lovely metallic neighbors, "Okay, I'm all stretched out now".  (How's that
for drama?)  Secondly, there are equalization points that have to settle.
These include the curving through the bridge pins, the U-bend around the
hitch pin, and the friction around the capo or agraff.  If there is a duplex
segment then there is yet another friction point to settle.  Finally, the
coil on the pin itself will snug up.  I have replaced many-a-string and no
matter how hard I try I just cant get the wire to make the perfect right
angle into the pin hole.  There is always this slight gap.  Yet months later
the becket is snuggled up nice and tight because the string formed itself
around the bend all by itself over time.  So there you have it, Rob's
philosophical ramblings of string stability.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV