The Duplex affect --an experiement

BobDavis88 at aol.com BobDavis88 at aol.com
Tue Nov 13 23:41:10 MST 2007

In a message dated 11/13/2007 9:50:57 PM Pacific Standard Time,
davidlovepianos at comcast.net writes:

Did you do the experiment blind? i.e. did the listeners (and player) know
when the tape was on or off?  You need to do that to really legitimize the
results.

David,

It was at the end of the meeting, so it was somewhat ad hoc. However, I
suggested the exercise because of my own experiments in this area, and because I
didn't agree with recent talk about the duplexes not being worth much. The first
piano on which I had practical use for it was a Steinway D some years ago
that had been braided all the way up the tenor at the factory. There was
something unsatisfactory about the tone, and I was poking around, and noticed the
braiding. I pulled it out and was surprised at the improvement.

Back to our meeting - We found that the difference with/without the tape in
the tenor was so obvious that I have no doubt what the results would be not
looking. The differences in the other sections were more subtle, and I too would
like to repeat them with more controls. Our sense was that the tone just
sounded freer, bigger, and more interesting with the duplexes open, even the upper
ones, but I'd be happy to try it again when we have more time.

It brought up the question of whether the duplexes were compensating for poor
soundboard design. This would be a hard one to control for, but my
off-the-cuff feeling was that a more efficient soundboard would just make the effect
more obvious. Piano tone relies on the interaction of so many things that it's
hard to change just one, and be satisfied that we have enough information to
draw useful conclusions. Other variables in the duplex experiment might be the
distance from the piano at which the sound change was noticeable, and the effect
of hammer voicing, and the phase of the moon, and....

Bob Davis