The Duplex affect --an experiment

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Wed Nov 14 07:50:42 MST 2007

I thought the recent discussions were about whether a tuned duplex was worth
much, not so much whether the duplex itself should be open or not.  I have
had similar experiences in which the capo section duplexes were braided and
removing the braid seemed to have some effect.  Similarly, I've had
experiences where the tenor and bass backscales were unbraided and were
making too much noise vibrating sympathetically when unwanted.  There does
seem to be a crossover point where the free and sympathetic duplex is loud
enough to be "sensed" but not so loud as to be heard, if you catch my
meaning.  It seems pretty clear that the duplex or backscale area is an area
that can and does respond sympathetically.   The question of whether it's
important that it's tuned or not is another matter.  Did you happen to test
whether or not they were tuned?

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com