1890 Weber upright

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 14 07:31:42 MST 2007

On Nov 13, 2007 11:30 AM, Cy Shuster <cy at shusterpiano.com> wrote:
> I just tuned a 1901 Vose & Sons upright with extra-long keys (maybe 18"?),
> and it played fine.  No leads; in fact, A0 and C8 had five Forstner holes in
> the bottom of the keystick under the head, about 1/2" deep.  I didn't
> measure DW/UW, but it was very responsive.  What kind of balance problems
> would there be?
>
> --Cy--

Hi Cy,

I haven't personally tuned or seen a Vose & Sons player. I have seen
many Vose & Sons pianos and based on the quality and extras that were
put into them, yes even their uprights, I would expect no less from
their player units. Vose & son pianos were one of the premier makers
of their time, making fine quality pianos both grands and uprights
with many extra features.

What I was referring to in the post was the 2nd line pianos that many
makers produced under other names or occasionally their own name. The
ones that were obviously designed to be players but were manufactured
without the player mechanism. So they still have the longer keys,
thicker bodies, frequently only 2 pedals which most often use the
metal type trapwork that is placed close to the bottom board to allow
room for the bottom stack of the player unit. Since these weren't
built as premier pianos but as second line pianos and were designed as
players the key balance isn't as good as you would find in a standard
upright. The expectation of the designers was that it would primarily
be used as a player, it was only a secondary use to manufacture it as
a piano without the player instead of retooling the assembly line for
a standard piano.
I have run across several of these over the years and they are abysmal
instruments. It is difficult to darn near impossible to get them to
the point where they will repeat fast enough to play eighth notes. The
primary problem is the too long, poorly balanced keys.

Mike
--
Knowledge is realizing that the street is one-way, wisdom is looking
both directions anyway.
email mike at ifixpianos.com