Key lead removal tool?

piannaman at aol.com piannaman at aol.com
Sat Nov 17 20:08:05 MST 2007

 Thanks to all for the great suggestions.? I was thinking along the lines of a jig with a hole and a hammer/punch to get the thing out, but then I thought there must be some kind of pliers for this.? OF course there are, but they ain't cheap (as mentioned by Michael, they are Renner products...).

?Bob, This is an e 131, and it was a Costco purchase, via Colton pianos.? The original problems were numerous:?? there were pinning issues all over the place, tight key bushings, and a whopping 8mm keydip that needed to be repaired before I could even get to the final major issue of key weighting.?

I've got a couple of questions for you:? did you remove the lead closest to the balance rail hole or the one closer to the front rail mortise?? Or both?

And other than being unsightly, what issues can be expected from an unfilled lead hole?? Noisier keys, structurally unsound??

Thanks for your input.? I'll talk to Sam at YC about a warranty claim on this one.

Dave