Steinway action noise

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Sun Nov 18 11:12:47 MST 2007

Another thing to consider:
The stack might, just might be situated
too far forwards. Check strike point and
key location between the keyslip and fallboard.
Shanks that do not align over their rest felts
in the bass and tenor is a sign of this possible
ratio improvement.

What I have done, rather than notching the keyframe,
is to grind off a few mm from the back of the end
brackets. Check left to right positioning as well
(capstans aligned under wippen cushions, or vise-versa).

One piano, I had to shim the stack bass-wards 1 mm,
move the treble end back 1.5 mm and the bass 6 mm and
raise the stack 3 mm. It still wasn't perfect but played
a heck of a lot better.

Regards,

Jon Page