Steinway action noise

Greg Newell gnewell at ameritech.net
Sun Nov 18 15:28:47 MST 2007

Jon,

                Based on your pics and description I have a NYS&S flange and
shank. The centers, however, aren't a white felt. Or is that a picture of a
Teflon setup? We've already established that the hammers are S&S. Perhaps
they were pre-hung. I wonder then, if the wippens aren't from the same
place. It would make sense since if the previous tech were price shopping he
wouldn't, likely, have ended up with anything from NY.

                Your posts here represent a fair amount of work as has
others on this topic. I'd like to express my deep appreciation for all your
help! I'll continue to play with this as the days go by but I'm afraid I'll
not be as timely with much of the investigations that this forum demands.
Please excuse my lack of timeliness. There's just a great deal going on
right now.

                It looks as if I'll be shimming wippen flanges even more
than 3 thicknesses of traveling paper to get something that I can regulate.
Moving of the rails doesn't seem too plausible but I'll give it some
thought. I think that John D's post established that the parts are indeed
different from the old ones. And further that there is no new ones made that
replicate the old sufficiently. That means I'm stuck with shimming even
though I'd rather not. Is there something that I should do to permanently
affix the shim?

                Meanwhile back at the ranch I found that the front key pins
had been turned and that I need to re-bush. I also found some stripped frame
screw holes for the stack and 2 of the glued in rail support blocks are
split. More and more to play with every time I look at it.

                Thanks to everyone for their collective help on this animal.
I don't know what I'd do without you!!!

All the best,

Greg