New size earplugs

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Mon Nov 19 10:04:22 MST 2007

John Formsma wrote:
> On 11/19/07, Ron Koval <drwoodwind at hotmail.com> wrote:
>>  I've used the off-the-shelf musician's earplugs for years.  I just got some
>> new ones in the mail that are made for smaller ear canals.  They are so much
>> more comfortable for me to use while tuning!
>>
>>  www.etymotic.com
>

> I just ordered some regular plugs last week.  For at least seven
> years, I've been using the custom-fit plugs with ER inserts.  They
> have worked great, but are not fitting as well now.  (Ears change
> shape slightly as we age.)

Yes, they do, but after 6 or 7 years the material hardens and doesn't
flex enough (or at all) to maintain the seal as you
chew/yawn/swallow/talk. My old set, now well over ten years old, still
works, but requires frequent repositioning.

I like the really flat attenuation curve of the 15dB inserts. I'd think
that the 20dB (more than that in the top [weaker 2k-4kHz] octave) might
be a bit too much and require some pulling out up there.

--
Conrad Hoffsommer - Keyboard Technician
1-(563)-387-1204 // Fax 1-(563)-387-1076