Steinway action noise

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Mon Nov 19 10:54:16 MST 2007

Hi Greg.

If its five digits then that puts it back before the turn of the
century... 1900.  85XXX is something around 1896.   35XXX makes it 1877.
I believe that puts you in the time period where the hammer shank center
pin hole was 1 mm closer to the flange screw.  If you can get ahold of
any of the old parts you should check this out. It might end up saving
you quite a bit of hassle. At least it may reduce your job to just one
thickness of buckskin on the whippen rail as you gain  1 mm of spread,
and you correct the hammer flange angle.

You still have to figure out why the fellow glued that extra key end
felt on too dont you ?  Smacks of a change of key rest felt that was too
thin... perhaps among other things.

Sounds like you have yourself in pretty deep here.  If you make it
wonderful for them you are a hero and you score big time.

Good luck

RicB

    Near as I could gather from a bleeded out serial number before the
    "rebuild"
    it's something like 85828 but then the 8's could be 3's or really
    anything
    goes here. The numbers were then completely obscured during the
    "rebuild". I
    see all the disparities thanks to John's very clearly done graphics.
    Thanks
    John! I still wanna know how you do that.