Downbearing Error - solution

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 15:33:28 MST 2007

On Nov 20, 2007 3:55 PM, Richard Brekne <ricb at pianostemmer.no> wrote:
> Hi folks
>
> After a restless night thinking about the prospect of recapping I
> remeasured my string offset angles today and calculated out that I have
> about 2.5 degrees in the high treble and just over 1 degree in the
> bass.  Not quite as bad as I had thought after all.... but still too
> much.  As it turns out I can get down to just over 1.3 in the top and
> close to 0 in the bass by taking a piece of 5 mm thick hardwood (the
> sticks they send with shanks from Renner as it turns out) and form them
> to match the contour of the plate just in front of the hitch pins.
> Fashioning a string rest with some thin felt brings up the back length
> to levels that I can easily live with.

Ron Nossaman would be a better commentator on this.  But when I was in
his shop, he showed how he sets the plate level.  Pretty nifty.  I
think it's been on the list before, and maybe even a Journal article
by Del some time back.

You can reset the level by turning up a nut on a threaded rod type
thing - even at tension. (Forgot exactly what it's called.)  It's what
I'll do when I get around to rebuilding.
--
JF