Downbearing Error - solution

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Tue Nov 20 17:45:54 MST 2007

John:

Installing a plate float system is definitely a nice thing to have for
tweaking bearing after the fact.  Precalculating the bridge height
(trigonometry does come in handy sometimes) from a straight string stretched
between the termination points forward and aft also helps as does installing
vertical hitches which can also be adjusted.  Calculating the soundboard
deflection (easier on a rib crowned and supported board) also gives more
data with which to ensure the bearing comes out close and helps to prevent
these kind of mishaps.  Of course, they are usually represent modifications
to the original which provides a psychological challenge to some--but not
all!

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com