Heintzman 186 Conservatory Grand Problem

Glenn Vallespir keynotepiano at verizon.net
Fri Nov 23 09:10:51 MST 2007

Today I went to a Heintzman 186 Conservatory Grand for the first time. I
believe that the serial number, (which was written in invisible ink), is
250807. The customer says that it is 31 years old. It is generally in pretty
good condition. I was called in because of a noise in the action. I
immediately diagnosed the problem as a loose fastener on the hammer rest
rail. I went to pull the action and could not get it out because the hammer
flange screws were hitting on the stretcher board. The stretcher board looks
perfect and is solid. I loosened the lyre fastening screws, just in case
they might have been too long and might be projecting through the key bed.
The leg bolts were not protruding and the unicorda was functioning normally.
I backed off, (raised), the bedding screws a lot, (I'd say at least three
turns, but I was not counting). I still could not get the action out. I was
able to flex the hammer flange rail and cause the key frame to give some. My
assumption is that the glide screws have been over-extended for a long
period of time and the key frame has been warped upwards and has taken on a
set. I advised the customer to allow the action to rest for a while, and
perhaps the key frame will relax. I told her to call me when the notes start
double striking.

Did I miss anything? Is there something unusual about a Heintzman which I am
not aware of? Do you think my assumption might be correct? If the action
does not settle down, can you recommend a good method for getting it out and
back in? I can't see reducing the dimension of the stretcher as the correct
answer. They had to get it in somehow. It's entirely possible that the
action has seen no service in 31 years. Any suggestion is appreciated

Thank you,

Glenn V.

Key Note Piano Service