Heintzman 186 Conservatory Grand Problem

Roger Jolly roger.j at sasktel.net
Fri Nov 23 12:56:14 MST 2007

Hi Glenn,
                   A not so uncommon problem with some Heintzman
grands, is pin block de lamination.  If some bright spark tried to
tap a few a few tuning pins with out supporting the block.  Then
Bingo! that will be your problem.

Check to see if the strings are very close to the plate, that will
give you a good indicator.  About 1/8" would be correct.

The tenor section is particularly prone since the pins are so close
together.  Closer than most piano's.

I have used a small jack and couple of squares of Delignite maple cap
material to spread the load on top of the keys.
Now easy does it.  Gently jack up a little, then move the jack  a few
inches and keep repeating, gently forcing the lamination up, until
you get that lamination back up.

Warning do not rush, and easy does it, you have to be careful not to
damage the keys.

Worst case,  I have had to put piano on it's side and start getting
the keybed apart.  On Heintzman's  they are both glued and doweled to
the rim.  The pin block on this vintage is glued and doweled into the
rim and stretcher.
Moral of the story,  this can be a major job.

Hope this gives you some thing to check

Regards Roger.