Steinway action noise

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Mon Nov 26 00:37:38 MST 2007

Hi Greg

Ah..  too bad about the parts. Could have been handy if for no other
reason then for reference. I always offer to box and include old parts
with delivery of action jobs myself... sometimes customers think its
cool to find something (or at least imagine they shall find something)
to do with old hammers etc.

Sorting it out however will be as you say a good learning experience as
far as you can afford to take it... or as far as they are willing to
pay.  And as you say, any significant improvement you make that is cost
effective for them is a boon. Both for you and them. Sometimes these are
golden opportunities.

As for my last post.  When I have time I like sitting down and  ponsking
out such things.  That too is a good learning experience. I'm not a
mathematician or physics major and I dont get enough practice at it do
be able to just whip them out there.  So when the opportunity presents
itself :)  I used to do more of this when I was sorting out how Stanwood
managed to arrive at his formula.  Phil Ford and Marc Davidson and I
exchanged quite a bit of stuff trying to find a way of deriving the
standard Overs type of action ratio measurement from any given set of
Stanwood numbers.  The two ratios are different quantities... tho they
are related.

Anyways... when you arrive at your solution it would be cool to hear
what you came up with.

Cheers
RicB

    Ric,
        First, thank you for your interest in my customers dilemma. I at
    least recognize that it's their problem and not mine. That's a good
    thing.
    Secondly you have on a few occasions mentioned the desire to obtain
    the old
    parts. Oh that that were possible. They and the technician who did the
    previous work are gone I'm told. It will take me a while to digest what
    you've written but the short version is that I'm aware that there
    will be
    some complications however, 1) it will be a good learning experience
    2) I'm
    not likely to proceeed further than what they are willing to pay for
    and 3)
    I have no choice but to proceed in some fashion to make this ....
    less bad.
    Thanks again for the efforts.