Killer Tails

Willem Blees wimblees at aol.com
Mon Nov 26 16:00:20 MST 2007

Alan

I don't think the problems,?the ripped?up bc's, the very loose centers, and the voicing issues,?are because of the?intentionally grooved tails. The problem is with the way the piano is played. I would suspect the player is a banger. The harder the piano is played, the harder the tails dig into the bc's.?(A smoother tail might have saved the bc's a little, but not much.) When the tails push into the bc,?the shank backs into the flange, which does a number of the centers. The hard playing is also responsible for the voicing problem.?

The problems you mentioned would have been there on a Steinway. Hyudai will not give you new parts. The customer has to pay for his/her playing style. It needs new hammers, shanks and flanges, and new back check, and a complete regulation.

Willem (Wim) Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
Honolulu, HI
Author of