Killer Tails

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 27 06:57:20 MST 2007

On Nov 26, 2007 12:46 PM, Alan Barnard <pianotuner at embarqmail.com> wrote:

> One piano, three questions, please ....
>
> Piano: Hyundai G-82 5'9" grand, just under 10 years old
>
> Problem One:  Backcheck buckskin (?) worn, torn, shredded.
> Suspect: Hammer tails have are intentionally grooved for "grip" but I
> think this has abraded the bc's.
> Proposed Treatment: Sand hammer tails smooth, which will also make the
> tails curve in more (smaller radius at the tail ends) and, maybe cove them,
> too.
> Advice Sought: Any comments (suggestions, warnings, threats) from the
> incredible pool of talent and experience out there?
>
> Problem Two: Bad regulation (infinite hammer swings, for example) and
> serious voicing issues (lack of or inconsistent sustain, "pinched" notes,
> etc.)
> Suspect: Less than premium piano + minimal factory prep + zero store prep
> + 10 years of playing = Disappointing case of ookiness
> Proposed Treatment: Full reg and voicing
> Advice Sought: Any comments, especially from people who know the brand,
> would be greatly appreciated. I have very limited voicing experience, but
> presume these pianos are the typical Asian boulders.
>
> Also, also, also ... How and where can I go to find out if the
> backcheck problem is under a warranty. The dealer is not in business in St.
> Louis any more and the outfit specializes (and pushes) electronic pianos. I
> found this number for Hyundai's American distributor 1-914-353-3520 in New
> York -- but the number is no longer good (never a good sign). Anybody know?
>
> Alan Barnard
> Salem, MO

Hi Alan,
My experience with Samick, which for all intents and purposes is what you
have there although it may say Hyundai on the outside, is that they use a
very, very thick but soft buckskin on their knuckles and backchecks, it's
kind of a yellow color and wears very quickly because it's so soft AND
because of the hammer tail grooves AND because of the loose flange/shank
pinning. They may or may not warranty it, I had the same problem with a
Young Chang built Weber grand that was a few months short of being out of
warranty but got a set of backshecks out of them. The customer paid the
labor but it was something at least.
Mike Spalding said everything I would say, I have a shop full of Spurlock
jigs (and a few self-made) so do yourself a favor and get some if you don't
have 'em already.

If the number Mike gave for service doesn't help, call Samick and ask them.

Mike
--
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Michael Magness
email mike at ifixpianos.com