steinway consignment

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Tue Nov 27 17:14:11 MST 2007

I charge 30% plus expenses- moving, and whatever else it needs. I give them
an estimate of what I think the piano needs, separated into what it needs
now and what could be put off to later. The seller pays the 30%, the buyer
pays the expenses.

Selling pianos is about connecting with the right buyer. That is really
difficult for a layman to do. I've been selling pianos long enough to know
that the seller can usually walk away with more cash in his pocket by paying
me the 30% because I can connect him to the buyer that wants his piano. Plus
most people don't like opening up their home to strangers to parade through
to look at the piano. By going through me it increases their comfort level
that I have vetted the prospects to only reputable and serious buyers.

It is usually pretty good money, but you do work for it. It often involves
several phone calls and meets to show the piano. If you can make $100/hr
tuning pianos you should be able to make at least double or triple that
selling them. Otherwise just stick to tuning. When figuring out how much you
are making on a given sale you of course have to factor in the lost time
from sales that didn't go through.

Dean

Dean May             cell 812.239.3359

PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272