Left Handed tuning/pitch raises

Michelle Smith michelle at smithpianoservice.com
Thu Nov 29 17:37:53 MST 2007

I have a question I've been wondering about for some time and I'm going to
try to explain it correctly.

I tune uprights left handed.  A while back, I had some nerve damage to my
hand doing an especially tough pitch raise and started doing pitch raises
right handed and fine tunings with my left.  I discovered that pitch raises
are easier to do right-handed (for me).  It's easier to pull than to push
and it seems that I land closer to the pitch.  It always seemed like I had
to go too far sharp to land the pitch correctly when I was doing pitch
raises left handed.

Just wondering if any other lefties have had similar experiences.

Michelle Smith

Smith Piano Service

Bastrop, Texas