Tuning pin drilling? followup

jimialeggio5 at comcast.net jimialeggio5 at comcast.net
Mon Oct 1 08:46:00 MDT 2007

--

>Regards,

>Jon Page

The discrepancy between what diameter bit is used by different operators and
different drilling rigs point to the inherent inaccuracies of the the drill press and the
way tooling is used in a drill press.

To start with, the quill has slop, and the further the quill plunges the more
pronounced that slop becomes.  Now add to that inherent slop that the 4" or 6"
drill bit is: 1- often not dead straight, 2-often inserted into a non-precision
chuck, thus further spinning out of true, 3-the drill bit tends to deform its
axis as it spins, 4-the bit often skates a bit when starting the hole, thus
entering the wood outside the drill press'  axis, even further deforming the
already deflected axis. Then in addition to all this these above variables the
speed of the plunge further affects the behavior of the deflections.

In my opinion, a dilled hole is a complex construction.

For these reasons a drill press is not the tool of choice in a machine room
where repeatable precision is required...a bridgeport is often preferred for machine precision.

We are not in a machine room. The drill press' inaccuracies are present in any
drill press, top of the line or yard sale beauty queen. As I see it, the object of the
game is to understand the inherent nature of the machine, understand our machines'
particular quirks, and adapt the process to accommodate those quirks.

The appropriate size of the bit is merely an indication of how much deflection
is being allowed by a particular drilling rig. If two different rigs are are drilling the
same material and getting the same finished torques using a .272  and a .257 bit respectively with the
same plunge timing, the larger bit is spinning truer to axis throughout the cut.

That difference really doesn't necessarily mean anything.  My point here is that
we need to understand the inherent inaccuracies of the machine, and the inaccuracies of our
particular machine/set-up in order to trouble-shoot our own respective procedures effectively.

Secondly my point is, if one chooses, for whatever reason, to use  an
unforgiving quasi-wood product like Delignit, the above inherent and specific inaccuracies will become
accentuated.  That can be ok...as long as one understands what parameters of the operation need to be to
controlled.

Jim I