Walter 175 hammers

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Tue Oct 9 01:23:28 MDT 2007

I agree with Dales point here, tho perhaps Del has some intimate
knowledge about what has been tried at Walters and what hasn't to be
able to tell based on moulding alone.  Renner sells Wurzens I and II
with three different types of molding on request. A kind of mahogany
called Kotibe, Maple and Walnut. My choice is always based on how heavy
I want the hammers to be as the specific density of all these varies.

Also... much seems to be made of the choice of felt type, and yet
nothing seems to be said of the fact that good quality hammer felt
regardless of whom makes it means little or nothing at all if the
pressing is bad. Thats another thing I like about Renner Europe.  If you
want custom pressing, and custom molding shapes... thats a doable. Thats
why I've been getting hammers through André Oorebeck these past years.
He's done a lot of experimenting with different hammers on different
instrument types and has a good hammer for just about any instrument.

All this said... I have some raw Wurzen II felt, and I'd like to compare
it with some raw Bacon felt.   Does anyone know where I could get ahold
of some ?

One other point thats been made here that I think needs to be stressed.
Voicing should be done in the owners locality and any potential buyer
should be told the importance of that.  Thats kind of why I suggested
the use of collodion.  A couple drops goes a long long way to
brightening the sound and is very reversable because it simply does not
penetrate deeply unless you use tons of it.  It gives you the
opportunity to give the customer a quick look at where the instrument
will go with a brighter sound.  Sure sure and soaking and washing into
the core of tons of lacquer will give an end result that differs.... but
still this is a handy trick to put into your tool bag for situations
where you need a temporary brightening of the sound.

Cheers
RicB

    Mark
     It's really hard to make assumptions based on moldings. By the  way
    Ronsen
    supplies mahogany moldings on request.  It's called
    sapele...or.....(suh---pee-- lee). So not necessarily Abel. In fact
    Charles  asked me about the tone of
    one of his pianos in Feb at the Cal. He was going to  try the Bacon
    felt as
    the consensus including mine was that the hammers in the  piano
    were  strident
    sounding.
      Dale